Sunday, June 22, 2008

Redux - IBM & Intuit

The last two companies to lose my personal information were IBM and Intuit.

Intuit lost a laptop that contained my personal information and credit card used to purchase Turbo Tax at their website. Why Intuit would allow employees to download such sensitive information to a laptop is questionable. What's not questionable is that I no longer buy Turbo Tax from Intuit's site but buy it instead (cheaper) at BJ's.

IBM lost a data file with my employee information including my social security number (SSN). Why can't a multi billion dollar company with over 300,000 employees and a massive security team figure out how to encrypt data that went on a storage tape? Or did they just not care. I no longer work at IBM - hopefully they are more vigilant about former employee information than they were about active employees.

0 comments: