Friday, July 10, 2009

Data Schwab'd Update

Thanks to the folks at databreaches.net I now know more about what happened (per my Chuck I've Been Schwab'd post) as databreaches posted a notice that Charles Schwab sent to the NH attorney general.

In short:
  • The theft occurred in early May - therefore it took Chuck some six weeks to notify me that I'd been Schwab'd
  • The employee who violated policy was terminated - that saves a severance payment
  • A suspect was arrested - gotta love the police
  • The drive with my data was not recovered - did they check Craigslist?
Charles Schwab remains a Company Acting Badly for taking some six weeks to notify customers that their personal information was stolen and for not providing impacted customers with the same level of detail on the theft as they provide to an attorney general.

1 comments:

Kathy said...

I wish the problem had been solved then. But even today there are big security issues.